The station is less than 100 yards away from the A148 and about 1400 yards from the town centre. At High Kelling take the old Cromer Road to Holt - there is a brown tourist information road sign at the junction.
Access on foot to the town is level, along pavements.
A detailed map is available.
There is a large car park at the station, as well as a smaller one, holding about 30 cars, 200 yards from the platform entrance.
Sanders Services buses 4 and 5 pass the station approach road. There is a stop immediately outside the station. There is typically an hourly service on each route.
The 'Holt Flyer', a London routemaster bus, meets most steam trains during the holiday season and conveys passengers to the town centre (at an additional charge). Tickets for the routemaster bus can be purchased at Holt station ticket office, or as a through ticket from Sheringham station. This service is not operated by the NNR.
For more information about the routemaster bus, please click here.
Please click here for details of wheelchair access.
More details about Holt can be found at Tour Norfolk
There is a small shop selling souvenirs, coffee and confectionery just opposite the station building. The main building itself has been relocated from Stalham, an original M&GN station. This building contains the booking hall and ticket office. There are also toilets, including a disabled toilet.
There is a model railway, 'Broad Sidlinch', which was featured in the June 1999 issue of Railway Modelling. The layout, which covers 300 square feet, can be found open during the peak season, subject to the availability of volunteers. There is also a miniature railway operated by the North Norfolk Model Engineering Club. See below for details.
In the station yard is the replica M&GN goods shed from Thursford. This houses the 'William Marriot Museum', which opened in August 2006.
The signal box at the end of the platform is a re-claimed Midland Railway 'box. It was commissioned at the start of 2009, by which time the box was over 100 years old. The improved signalling system here allows both platforms to be used when required, meaning Holt station can accomodate more than one train at a time. This provides much more flexibility in the timetables, particularly for galas.
A water tower has been built and locomotives can take water here. A new water crane has been built at the end of the platform to make taking water much easier for the crews.
A new picnic area opened in 2011 beyond the museum, as well as a selection of vintage rolling stock going on display in the station goods yard.
Holt is the home to our Education Department, and "The Railway Cottage"
The Railway Cottage is a restored 1899 coach body house. The cottage has been recreated to represent a typical 1935 country dwelling, for more details why not pop in and see how returning First World War heroes lived?
The cottage is open to the public from 10am - 4pm every running weekend from Easter to the end of October. This is a fully accessible hand-on museum and is available for school, reminiscence and other community groups visits during the week by prior arrangement. It is situated at the entrance to the main car park, next to the Railway Institute (turn left out of the main station building).
A number of the 'features' of the station, have been funded by a supporting organization - The Friends of Holt Station, which is open to anyone interested in the station, for more details see a member of the Holt station team.
Click here for details of the facilities at all of our stations.
The North Norfolk Model Engineering Club are based at Holt station and they have now worked four summer seasons there. By October 2007 their ‘work teams’, who meet on Sundays and Thursdays, finished laying and extending the track to 1000ft. Work now is directed to improving facilities by electrification of signals and points, improving storage and the workshop area, and the general appearance of the lineside.
The NNMEC try to work as many red service days of the NNR as possible and Sundays throughout the summer, weather permitting and subject to engine and driver availability. There is a small charge for rides on operating days which provides funds for future improvement works.
The operating dates for 2014 are as follows:
April 19, 21
May 3, 4, 5, 25, 26
June 14, 15
July 5, 6, 20, 27
August 3, 10, 17, 24, 25, 30, 31
September 20, 21
October 26, 30
All running dates are provisional, weather permitting and are subject to the availability of engines and drivers.
The North Norfolk Model Engineering Club are entirely independent of the North Norfolk Railway PLC.
Holt is an attractive award winning Georgian town with plenty of interesting shops and an excellent departmental store, Larners of Holt, which has been in the town since 1797.
There are plans for an extension of the railway to a site in the Holt town centre but this will be dependent on public funding.
The current gravelled track to the platform entrance has been levelled and widened. It will be surfaced on completion of the building work and hard standing will, in due course, be provided for parking.
A weighbridge has been acquired from Cambridge, this will be installed in due course
Kelling Heath Halt