FrenchGermanDutchJapanese
 Home Times & Fares Your VisitEvents  Rolling Stock  Special Services Volunteering Shop Contacts
 Steam Locomotives Diesel Locomotives Visiting Locomotives Level Crossing Events Rolling Stock
 
Times & Fares

Times & Fares
Timetable
What's Running
Fares
Routemaster Bus
Parties and Groups

Your Visit
Your Visit
Welcome
How to find us
FAQs
Webcams
Facilities
Local Attractions
Events
Events
Special Events
Steam Gala
1940s Weekend
Children's Events
Santa Specials
Murder Mysteries
Rolling Stock
Rolling Stock
Steam Locomotives
Diesel Locomotives
Visiting Locomotives
Carriages
Special Services

Special Services
Driver Experiences
Education
Weddings
Dining Trains
Lineside Passes
Corporate Facilities
Filming

Volunteering
Volunteering
Latest News
Want to be a Volunteer?
Membership
Junior Club
Online Shop
Online Shop
Purchase Tickets for Special Events,
Books, DVDs and Souvenirs using our
new Online Shop

Contacts & Links
Contact Details
Poppy Line Links
Locomotive Groups
Railway Links
Local Links

 

Steam Locomotives

Please note that for the purposes of this page, 'In service' is a general term indicating that the locomotives are not undergoing major repair and are normally available for service. They may not be in service on any specific day because of minor repairs, boiler washouts, not required, etc. Occasionally they may even be on short term loan elsewhere.

B12 4-6-0 - 8572

In service

 

The B12 is the M&GN societies flagship locomotive. It was built in 1928 to a Great Eastern design, for express passenger services in East Anglia. It was preserved by the M&GN society in 1963. The engine is currently in LNER apple green livery.

For more detailed information consult the B12 page on the M&GN Society website.

Or visit the B12's own website at:
http://www.wandering1500.co.uk
Photograph copyright David Ballard.

56xx 0-6-2T - 5619

In service

 

5619 is a Great Western 56xx locomotive, built at Swindon for use in the South Wales valleys hauling coal trains.

The locomotive is owned by the
Telford Horsehay Steam Trust this loco is on an extended loan to the NNR, and is currently painted in BR green livery.

Photograph copyright Richard Kyte.

4MT 2-6-0 - 76084

In service

 

76084 was built at Horwich in 1957, as part of an order for British Railways. The engine spent its working life in the North West, initially shedded at Darwen, before moving round and finishing up at Wigan, from where the engine went to Barry scrapyard.

Saved from Barry, the engine was preserved in a garden until moving to Northumberland under the care of Standard 4 Locomotive Group website.

Photo Copyright Douglas Hume

Y7 0-4-0T - 985

Off site on loan

 

The Y7 was built in 1923 as a dock shunting locomotive, hence the small wheelbase to allow for tight curves. The engine worked for the LNER, followed by British Railways until 1952, when it was sold to the National Coal Board.

The engine was preserved in 1964, and is now on long term loan from the NNR to Beamish Museum, County Durham, painted in LNER black livery.



Photograph copyright Steph Granger.

0-6-0ST - 1700 Wissington

Off site on loan

 

The smallest of the M&GN society locomotives is Wissington, built in 1938 for use on the British Sugar Corporation's railway at Wissington near Downham Market, the engine spent its entire life working there. British Sugar Corporation kindly donated Wissington to the M&GN Society in 1977, the locomotive has recently returned to service and is on loan to the Mid Suffolk Light Railway at present.

For more detailed information consult the Wissington page on the M&GN Society website.

Photo Copyright The Loco Club

LMS Stanier Class 5 - 44767 George Stephenson

In service

 

44767 'George Stephenson' is a LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 locomotive that returned to steam in 2010. The locomotive has been undergoing overhaul and will be back in service for the railway's 2014 March Steam Gala.

Photograph copyright Peter Boggis.

J15 0-6-0 - 7564

Undergoing major overhaul

 

The J15 was built at Stratford in 1912 for use on pick-up goods and branch passenger trains across the Great Eastern Railway network. The engine survived until dieselisation, when it was preserved by the M&GN society. The engine was withdrawn at the end of her boiler ticket, on 6th May 2013, to recieve major overhaul.

For more detailed information consult the J15 page on the M&GN Society website.

Photograph copyright Ben Boggis

0-6-0ST - 1982 Ring Haw

Undergoing major overhaul

 

Ring Haw is a Hunslet saddle tank, built in Leeds in 1940 for use at Nassington Quarry. It spent its entire working life at the quarry before moving to the NNR in 1970.

The locomotive is owned by the NNR, and is currently in lined green livery.



Photograph copyright David Ballard.

9F 2-10-0 - 92203 Black Prince

Stored out of service

 

92203 was built in 1959 by British Railways, and allocated to heavy iron ore trains on Merseyside. The engine was withdrawn in 1967 and purchased by David Shepherd, who named the locomotive Black Prince.

92203 is on an extended loan to the North Norfolk Railway, and painted in BR black livery

Photograph copyright George Aldridge.

WD 2-10-0 - 90775

Stored out of service

 

WD 90775 was built at Glasgow in 1943 as part of an order for the Ministry of Supply. The engine from new was sent abroad to work, and never worked for British Railways. The locomotive was repatriated for preservation in 1984, and has been working on the NNR since 2003. It was purchased by the M&GN society in 2006.

90775 is currently out of service awaiting a major overhaul. The engine is numbered 90775, as the last British Railways engine of the same design was numbered 90774.

For more detailed information consult the WD page on the M&GN Society website.

Photograph copyright Ben Boggis.