1982 Esso 14t Tank
This ex-Esso tank car, dating from 1942, is one of a large number built for the second world war, and operated by the wartime Petroleum Board. These standard 14-ton, saddle-mounted, Class-A wagons on a 10-foot wheelbase, were required for the carriage of aviation fuel from the west-coast ports to the east of the country, where fuel dumps were forbidden in case of invasion, but where most airfields were situated. They were built by a variety of manufacturers.
It is currently on display at Holt.
Esso is a trading name for ExxonMobil and its related companies. The name is the phonetic pronunciation of the initials ‘S’ and ‘O’ in the name Standard Oil. The company began as Standard Oil of New Jersey following the breakup of Standard Oil. In 1972, the name was largely replaced in the U.S. by the Exxon brand after the company bought Humble Oil, while the Esso name remained widely used elsewhere.
In most of the world, the Esso brand and the Mobil brand are the primary brand names of ExxonMobil.