British Rail Class 101 DMU
The British Rail Class 101 diesel multiple units were built by Metro-Cammell at Washwood Heath in Birmingham, England from 1956 to 1959, following construction of a series of prototype units. This class proved to be one of the most successful and longest-lived of BR’s First Generation DMUs, second in longevity only to the Class 121, with the final five units being withdrawn on 24 December 2003. In 2000, the Class 101s were withdrawn from ScotRail.
The oldest set was, by then, just over 47 years old.
This Class 101 Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) is formed of two vehicles, 51192 (in service) and 56352 (currently undergoing repair), the former being a Driving Motor Brake vehicle, whereas the latter is a Driving Trailer.
It has been restored to BR green livery with yellow panel, as carried in the 1960s. The set is owned by the National Railway Museum and is currently on long term loan to the North Norfolk Railway.