Hunslet 16” 0-6-0ST No 1982 ‘Ring Haw’

Builder Hunslet Engine Co, Leeds
Build Date 1940
Operators Nassington Quarry, Peterborough
Withdrawn Date 1970
Power Class
16 inch
0-6-0 ST
Owned By NNR

Hunslet Works No 1982  Ring Haw 0-6-0ST

This locomotive was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in 1940 to work at the Nassington Ironstone Quarries near Peterborough which were opened that year. The locomotive was used for hauling iron ore tipplers out of the quarries, usually three to four at a time to the dispatch sidings to make up longer trains ready to be picked up to be taken away on the mainline. Here it worked with another preserved Hunslet locomotive (Works No 1953 Jacks Green).

Both of these locomotives worked at the quarry until 1970 when it closed and were therefore the last steam locomotives to work in ironstone quarries in England.

Ring Haw moved to the North Norfolk Railway (NNR) in 1970 and has been a regular performer throughout the preservation era. It is currently being overhauled in the Locomotive Works at Weybourne.