This locomotive was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in 1940 to work at the Nassington Ironstone Quarries near Peterborough which were opened that year. The locomotive was used for hauling iron ore tipplers out of the quarries, usually three to four at a time to the dispatch sidings to make up longer trains ready to be picked up to be taken away on the mainline. Here it worked with another preserved Hunslet locomotive (Works No 1953 Jacks Green).
Both of these locomotives worked at the quarry until 1970 when it closed and were therefore the last steam locomotives to work in ironstone quarries in England.
Ring Haw moved to the North Norfolk Railway (NNR) in 1970 and is currently on hire to the Spa Valley Railway at Tunbridge Wells until January 2020.