Project Description

LNER Y7 Class No 985

Designer Thomas W Worsdell
Builder Darlington Works
Build Date 1923
Operators LNER, BR
Withdrawn Date 1964
Power Class
0F
Configuration
0-4-0T
Owned By
Private
BACK TO ROLLING STOCK

LNER Class Y7

The North Eastern Railway (NER) Class H, classified as Class Y7 by the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), is a class of 0-4-0T steam locomotives designed for shunting. Introduced in 1888 by Thomas W. Worsdell, six were built in 1888. Their simple, bare design easily navigated the tight curves and poor quality track which they ran on. The H proved so successful, that the NER ordered a further ten in 1891, three in 1897 and five more were ordered by the LNER in 1923.

Coal was carried in side bunkers incorporated into the side tanks. The absence of a rear bunker and the small size of the cab provided the driver with a clear view of the buffer bar when reversing onto a train.

The LNER originally painted the Y7s in black with ¼inch vermillion lining; repaints after 1928 omitted this with locomotives in plain black.

Two entered British Railways stock in 1948, becoming BR 68088 and 68089.

The original work of these locos was on Tyneside, at Hull docks, and within Darlington works.Dock work was hit hard by the depression, and between 1929 and 1932 the sixteen locomotives which made up the first two batches delivered were withdrawn, nine being sold to industrial use while the remainder were scrapped.

Two have survived to preservation:

  • NER No. 1310 (Gateshead, 1891), was withdrawn in 1931 and sold to Robert Frazer & Sons, and sold on to Pelaw Main Collieries Limited in 1933. It passed to the National Coal Board in 1949, who renumbered it 63. In 1965, it was bought by the Steam Power Trust, and has been located at the Middleton Railway since 1965.
  • LNER No. 985 (Darlington, 1923)…

No 985

No 985 was renumbered 8088 by the LNER in 1946. It passed to British Railways in 1948, who renumbered it as 68088, and transferred it to the Eastern Region departmental fleet. It was sold to the National Coal Board in November 1952 and worked at Bentick and Thurgaton Collieries until 1964 when it was purchased by the Y7 Preservation Society.

The engine is currently on loan to the Mid-SuffolkLight Railway being rather small for practical use on the NNR.