The North Norfolk Railway Operating Department has a vacancy for the position of Operations Assistant. This is a full time position (average of 40 hours per week) which includes weekday, weekend and Bank Holiday working. The role requires flexibility with working hours, including some early starts and late finishes in order to meet the operational requirements of the business. The role will primarily be based at Sheringham but may include working at any location on the railway. This position is a safety critical role.
Reporting to the Operating Superintendent, the position involves being involved in all aspects of the day-to-day running and strategic planning of the Operating Department. These include, but are not limited to:
- Administration and production of competency, medical and other such records and publications.
- Production of timetables.
- Practical work including shunting and train preparation/servicing.
- Following training, working as the railway’s Responsible Officer as required, to manage day-to-day train operations.
- Supporting the team of Inspectors with competency management tasks.
- Supporting the rostering process for operations staff.
- Liaising with other departments to ensure the railway’s train services can be planned and delivered successfully.
- Assisting with incident investigations.
- Encouraging and supporting the application of the railway’s Rules and Regulations to ensure the safe operation of trains.
- Carrying out risk assessments.
- Assisting with covering operational roles where required and when competent to do so.
- Becoming a core member of the railway’s Operating Committee.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a valid UK driving licence and use of their own vehicle.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Have good IT skills (Microsoft Office package).
- Be reasonably physically fit and able to pass a railway medical for Safety Critical Work.
- Ideally have experience of operations within the heritage railway sector.
- Hold or have the ability to obtain relevant operational competencies (e.g. Steam or Diesel Crew, Guard, Signalling or Shunter).
- Have the ability to think logically and stay calm and prioritise their workload when under pressure.
- Have excellent people skills and be able to work well with both paid and volunteer colleagues.
- Be a clear communicator, both verbally and in written form.
- Have an excellent eye for detail and accuracy.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter explaining why you are a good fit for the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you can mail these documents to:
Peter Howard, Operating Superintendent
North Norfolk Railway
Applications will close at 12 noon on Friday, April 23rd 2021.
We wish you the best of luck.